Portrait, Wedding, and Commercial Photographers Serving the High Country and Beyond
We're Jonathan Burton and Bonnie Burton, a husband-wife team of award-winning photographers specializing in portraits, weddings and commercial photography. The images we create will help you remember those moments that you never want to forget.
Our full-service studio is located in the heart of the High Country, just east of Boone, North Carolina, and we proudly serve our clients in Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, Linville, West Jefferson, Winston-Salem, and beyond. We're available for travel!
Finding the right portrait photographer can be a really confusing undertaking. You'll find an array of people with the title of photographer from those just getting started, part-timers working for extra money, and true professionals who excel at their craft. Jonathan and I have over three decades of combined experience and our studio has been in business for over 20 years. We create portraits of newborns all the way to centenarians and family groups of two to fifty-two. Our portraits celebrate those important moments such as senior year, anniversaries, and mile-stone birthdays.
We're classically trained portrait artists. We've spent countless hours in seminars and classes learning from the best of the best as well as teaching other professional photographers. Our creative and technical skills in lighting, posing, and choosing the right location are fundamental ingredients to the success of our portraits. Consider the importance of these elements:
- Lighting - we LOVE natural light when working outdoors. But finding the BEST light that will flatter you most and bring out the sparkle in your eyes doesn't happen by accident. We know where and how to find the ideal light or how to modify it. For environmental portraits, we'll bring supplemental lighting equipment with us, using it when needed. Whether we are adding, subtracting, or redirecting light, we're confident we can create the best light for your portrait. We understand different lighting patterns and are comfortable with all kinds of studio lighting situations.
- Posing - please don't panic at the word "posing". People have gotten the wrong idea about what that word means, that somehow the term translates to "fake". We know how to pose you so that you'll look your absolute best in the most natural kind of way. Whether the portrait we're creating is a single subject, a couple or a family of 35, we know how to position you to show connection, emotion, and you at your best. You can trust us.
- Location - Location - Location. We know many spectacular mountain locations to work in but would love to create your portraits in a place that has the most sentimental value to you. We believe we can create beautiful portraits almost anywhere.
We can create three different types of portraits - classic, illustrative, pictorial - during your portrait session. We'll discuss what's most important to you before your session and make certain we know your priorities.
- Classic - Everyone is thoughtfully posed, looking at the camera, usually smiling. See an example HERE.
- Illustrative - Subjects are interacting with one another or their environment and generally aren't looking at the camera. Subjects are smiling, laughing, walking, dancing, twirling, running, skipping rocks, picking flowers, tossing leaves into the air...you get the idea. Here are two great examples: One and Two.
- Pictorial - The portrait subjects are a small part of the portrait and the beautiful surroundings take center stage. Imagine a gorgeous painting where the people are just a small part. Click HERE to see an example.
Working together as a husband-wife team, we know the tenderness of a love story first hand. We will work together to create the images that will celebrate the story of YOUR wedding day - all the laughter, tears, romance, beauty and yes, and the unexpected. We'll capture the amazing details that you put so much thought into so that you'll remember them forever. Your wedding day might go by in a blur of emotion but you'll have the images we create of your wedding for the rest of your lives together.
Our Story-Telling-Meets-Fine-Art style will assure that you have a variety of exquisite images in your wedding image collection. We'll help you look your best when our hands-on direction is most needed and then fade into the background to be as unobtrusive as possible while we document the unfolding action with a more journalistic approach. We are experienced, classically trained, and technically skilled which prepares us for ANY situation on your wedding day.
We're known for staying calm and happy in the most chaotic of situations. We've photographed HUNDREDS of weddings, and not much can rattle us. Yes, we're there to create images but we're also looking out for you as your friends. We've worked in every kind of venue from ultra-fancy resorts, mountain-side fields, rustic barns to traditional churches. We've got you covered!
We're thrilled that most of our wedding clients count on us to create a handmade, leather bound, custom designed album for them. We know these albums become valued treasures and priceless heirlooms.
You'll have opportunities for additional portraits to tell your love story. Before the wedding, we often create Engagement Portraits and Bridal Portraits. After the wedding, we're available to meet you one more time for a Happily-Ever-After session. This comes in handy if weather kept you from getting the scenic images you were hoping for.
Take a few moments to browse through our collection of wedding images. These best represent our style and what you can expect if we become your wedding photographers. You'll want to trust your wedding day to experienced, artistic, and skilled photographers who also just happen to be really nice people - that's who we are.
Living and working in the High Country gives us the unique opportunity to work not only as portrait and wedding photographers, but also create images for our commercial clients. We've photographed everything from architecture, interior design, products to life-style images used on websites, advertising campaigns and in annual reports. Again, our technical and artistic skills combined with years of experience help us to be successful in the area of commercial photography.
Boone and Beyond
Although our studio is located in the heart of the High Country just east of Boone, NC, we often work in the surrounding communities of Blowing Rock, Linville, Banner Elk, West Jefferson, Jefferson, Wilkesboro, Winston-Salem, Clemmons, Lewisville, Mooresville, Huntersville, Concord, Charlotte, Matthews, and Lake Norman. In the eastern part of the state, we have clients from Durham, Chapel Hill, Apex, Cary, Raleigh, Wilson, Morehead City, Emerald Isle, and Atlantic Beach. Working outside of North Carolina, we've been as far away as New York City, Philadelphia, Toronto, Atlanta, Washington, DC, and Orlando.
Book us Today
We'd love to discuss your photography needs. Contact us HERE.